Steve's Family History

This is a blog to record my attempts to trace my family history. Maybe it will be of interest to other members of my family - especially those who are also researching their own family tree.

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Picking up the threads

One of my New Years resolutions is to resume my family history research. The most important file I lost in my hard disk crash was a spreadsheet which acted as an index to my research; it had a list of all my family names with columns for BMD dates and whether I had the corresponding certificates as well as whether I had Census entries for them. I'm having to recreate this file from scratch and its very painful.

I have paper files with the BMD certificates, so can thumb through those and type in the dates. The census information is a bit harder. When I originally looked the censuses up I saved electronic images of the respective pages and those have gone. Some of the information I had transcribed onto my web site and I have managed to recover some of those pages from the remains of the hard disk. Once I've finished taking stock of the information I have I will be in a better position to identify what is missing.

Fortunately I have several copies of my Family Tree Maker data file, as well as a paper print out of the Genealogy Book I created with it (though that appears to be a year or so out of date). I think most of my research is here somewhere, it is just a case of finding and re-indexing it.

The lesson is that you can't have too many backups, and it pays to keep information in a number of different formats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home